How to Create Focus With Infographics
Posted: April 24, 2018
Creating a visual effect to direct learners’ focus can be a wonderful and easy trick to add dimension — even in a PPT (Powerpoint) presentation or an ILT (instructor-led training). Present the graphic…then shift the focus to one part of the graphic — here’s how:
Step 1: Select and Place
Create or find a beautiful, full-color graphic (like this one that our talented graphic designer, Cortney, created for us), then place it in the PPT.
Step 2: Duplicate and Desaturate
Make a duplicate of the same graphic, then desaturate it to grayscale. In PPT, there are a few ways you can quickly do this:
How to Copy an Image in Powerpoint:
There are two ways to do so…
- Right-click method: Simply hover over the image you want to copy, right-click, and copy/paste.
- CTRL/drag method: Simply hold down the “option” key, click the image you want to duplicate, then drag the copy wherever you like.
Expert Tip: If you need the image to remain in place across multiple slides, try simply duplicating the PPT slide. That way, all your elements will remain consistent across your presentation.
Once the graphic is duplicated, it’s time to desaturate!
How to Desaturate an Image in Powerpoint:
Click on the image you want to desaturate.
- Select the “Picture Format” tab.
- Select the “Color” drop-down.
- Under “Color Saturation,” select “Saturation: 0%.”
Step 3: Crop and Focus
Crop the grayscale image to the area you desire. Then drag it and place the grayscale version on top of the full-color graphic. From there, crop out the item you want to focus on the full-color image. Your graphic will now direct focus to the part you wish to highlight. Like this…
If you enjoyed this quick how-to, you won’t want to miss our next free webinar on May 22 at 12pm CT, How to Design Your PowerPoint Slides like a Pro! In a similar show-and-tell method, Cortney Wood of Alvarado Creative Co and I will walk you through everything you need to know to create visual interest in your training presentations!
In this one-hour interactive workshop, you’ll discover:
- Actionable tips and tricks for working creatively in the confines of brand standards
- Working with restricting color palettes
- Incorporating secondary and tertiary colors the right way
- Tips for getting client approval
- How to utilize classic graphic design techniques to control visual hierarchy
- The do’s and don’ts for incorporating stock images and graphics into training
- What to look for in ideal imagery
- How to prep them for use
- Ways to use stock imagery creatively on a slide
As a live attendee, you’ll have the opportunity to ask our expert designers your most burning design-related questions. And BONUS — just for tuning in, we’re giving you an exclusive freebie that will help you easily implement these tips within your own learning environment! Save your spot today and get ready to #UnlockInnovation!
About the Author
Kesha has been in the learning industry for over 20 years helping companies and individuals reach their highest potential. Helping companies create training solutions to match the needs of the learner is a true passion of hers. She is a true creative person and brings her out-of-the box thinking and can-do spirit into everything she does. Her philosophy is to be open to change and willing to take risks that produce breakthrough performance. Her favorite quote is from Audrey Hepburn – Nothing is impossible; the word itself says “I’m possible!”